Friday, March 19, 2010

A Night by Kiwanjani Eco lodge Water Hole



By David, your host at Kiwanjani


One of natures’ bundles of surprises is a waterhole next to Kiwanjani Eco-lodge; an elegant exclusive lodge next to Tsavo West National Park. The mid day heat is solid you can almost pick it up hit a wall and it will stick there! But morning and evening is cooler; a cool breeze permeates the land, this is when it is hard to tell the difference between the sound from the dominant acacia whistling thorn tree from a singing cisticola or the melodious robin chat.


At one time they merge into one harmonious orchestra- then you see a bunch of red elephants striding to the waterhole, the cape buffaloes give way at the sight of big brothers, and over the yonder, hundreds of elands patiently waiting for their turn to take a dip. This is the magic of the land.


My best moment is nightfall. Today I decide to spend my night by the waterhole atop Kiwanjani lodge balcony; almost too near for comfort but where else could you soak in the sights and sounds better? Normally, I spend my night in a tent some 500meters away from the action point but today Iam challenging myself.


My day is usually spent attending to logistics of the conservancy and the construction work; rattling and hurtling in a 19th century Isuzu Trooper between Rukanga*, local township, to Moi High School where recently we donated some 20 computers plus internet to the students, to attending to cases of illegal herders trespassing into the conservancy to helping Kenya Wildlife Service rangers trap a marauding lion to giving water and greens to a sickling turtle too weak to fend for himself. By the time Iam done with these chores, its almost 2100 hrs and by then my body joints and muscles is something next to a jelly.


But today, I have nightfall to look up for. I find that Ali the camp chef has whipped something for dinner; a gravy of cowpeas and ugali which he gleefully place on my table. The last time I took this combination, I had a serious heartburn! Going without dinner may complicate matters further, so I decide against this with the consolation that I could later wash down the mix with a tusker. Ali the chef is quite a story teller mostly on social scenes but today I have different plans. From the dinner ritual, I beckon, Milton the ranger who is to keep me company in the lonely balcony.

Having found a strategic corner, we nestled in. Milton is breathing grumpily- either he has developed sudden fear or he is about to catch a cold. Either way, I will find out. The sky is dark yet only moments ago it was a galaxy of stars. I can hear what sounds like a chimpmunk but I quickly decide against this. But the nightjar is unmistakenable with the squeaky shrills, an owl hoots in a distance from where cicadas seems to be having a major conference. From our position we can see the waterhole.


About Kiwanjani Eco lodge

Kiwanjani sits elegantly in the middle of the two Tsavo’s evoking an incredible sense of familiarity – a true home in the wilderness. The secluded and spacious thatched cottages are a reflection of contemporary Africa combining the traditional African building style with the modern luxuries to create a true eco lodge in all aspects. At Kiwanjani, it’s not unusual to see elephant, gazelles or buffaloes grazing only metres away. Perhaps, you couldn’t even get a better place for an “armchair safari’


info@kiwanjani.com

www.kiwanjani.com





No comments: